Temple of Literature Hanoi
Temple of Literature (Vietnamese: Vn Mi¿u is often a temple of Confucius in Vietnam. Although several Vn Mi¿u can be found throughout Vietnam, one of the most prominent and famous is situated in the town of Hanoi, this functioned as Vietnam's first university. It is featured for the back in the one hundred thousand Vietnamese Óng bank notes
The landmark was founded in 1070 as a Confucian temple. Only parts of the Vn Mi¿u complex date back to the earliest period, although much of the architecture dates towards the Lý (1010 – 1225) and Tr§n (1225 – 1400) Dynasties.
In 1076 Vietnam's first university, the QuÑc Tí Giám or Imperial Academy, was established inside temple to teach Vietnam's bureaucrats, nobles, royalty along with other members with the elite. The university functioned for over 700 years, from 1076 to 1779. Given the extreme difficulty of the doctor laureate tests, few students passed final examinations. The list of names engraved about the stone stele yearly during this period is extremely small. The stele records 2,313 students graduating as doctor laureates.
Emperor Lê Thánh Tông established the tradition, going back to 1484, of carving the names in the laureates from the university on stone steles which are placed on the surface of stone tortoises. Of the 116 steals corresponding for the examinations held between 1142 and 1778, only 82 remain.
According on the book the Complete History of the Great Viet, "In the autumn in the year Canh Tuat, the next year of Than Vu (1070), within the 8th lunar month, throughout the reign of King Ly Thanh Tong, the Temple of Literature was built. The statues of Confucius, his four best disciples: Yan Hui (Nhan Uyên), Zengzi (Tng Sâm), Zisi (Tí T°), and Mencius (M¡nh Tí), plus the Duke of Zhou (Chu Công), were carved and 72 other statues of Confucian scholars were painted. Ceremonies were focused on them in each of the four seasons. The Crown Princess studied here."
This ancient Confucian sanctuary is considered one of Hanoi's finest historical sites. The temple is founded on Confucius' birthplace at Qufu inside the Chinese province of Shandong. It consists of five courtyards lined in order, entrance towards the first, through impressive twin-tiered Vn Mi¿u gate, results in three pathways that run the length in the complex.
The centre path was restricted to the king, the one to its left for administrative Mandarins and usually the one to its right for military Mandarins. The first two courtyards are peaceful havens of ancient trees and well-trimmed lawns where scholars could relax outside the bustle of the town outside the thick stone walls.
Entrance on the third courtyard is via the dominating Khuê Vn Các (constellation of literature), a substantial pavilion built-in 1802. Central for this courtyard may be the Thien Quang Tinh ("Well Of Heavenly Clarity"), both sides of which stand two great halls which house the true treasures
of the temple. These are 82 stones steles. Another 34 are believed to be to have been lost in the past. They sit upon stone turtles and are inscribed with the names and birth places of 1306 men who were awarded doctorates from the triennial examinations held here at the QuÑc Tí Giám ("Imperial Academy") between 1484 and 1780, after which it the capital was transferred to Hu¿.
The fourth courtyard is bordered on each side by great pavilions which once contained altars of 72 of Confucius' greatest students these days contain offices, a present shop plus a small museum displaying ink wells, pens, books and private artifacts owned by some in the students that studied here as time passes. At the far end of the courtyard may be the altar with statues of Confucius and his awesome four closest disciples. The fifth courtyard contained the QuÑc Tí Giám, Vietnam's first university, founded
in 1076 by King Ly Can Duc, but this is destroyed by French bombing in 1947.
The complex has undergone much restoration work, recently in 1920 and again in 1954, but remains one from the few remaining instances of later Lý Dynasty (1009-1225) architecture within easy walking distance of Ba Dinh square.
One Pillar Pagoda - Chua Mot Cot
Close-with the impressive presidential palace is often a treasure plus a landmark of Ha Noi. It appears somewhat bizarre, but is really a small and fine gem: „the MÙt CÙt Pagoda” (One-Pillar Pagoda). The name is immediately evident; its second name is Pagoda with the goddess Quan Âm. Quan Âm is the goddess from the mercy. According for the legend the goddess Quan Âm may actually King Lý Thái Tông (1000 - 1054) in a dream. If you liked this article so you would like to get more info about nhip cau be ban
please visit our own internet site. The king had been old yet still childless and sought a successor. In the dream Quan Âm handed him a son while seated on a lotus flower. The king then took a farmer girl as concubine and had a son by her, who will be the long desired successor on the throne forecasted by the goddess. Deeply gratefully Lý Thái Tông built inside the year 1049 the MÙt CÙt Pagoda in honors in the goddess of mercy. As the name suggests the pagoda stands on one pillar inside middle of synthetic square lake. In the season, the lake is covered by lotus flowers. The pagoda itself is wooden and about 3 x 3 meters. Inside resides a statue of Quan Âm. In the course of its 1000 year history this pagoda was destroyed – and rebuilt - often. The French occupation army last destroyed it shortly before quitting Viet Nam. In 1955 it turned out – again – reconstructed, on this occasion – unfortunately! - with a concrete pillar instead from the original wooden pillar. Unfortunately? It could be considered the pragmatic Vietnamese try and connect the tradition using the modernity. Whether concrete or wood, the Bodhisattva Quan Âm will continue to be admired here as child-bringing goddess. This delicate pagoda will probably be worth a visit anyway.
Location: Located in Dinh Bang Village, Tu Son Town, Bac Ninh Province, 15km from Hanoi.
Characteristics: Do Temple worship the eight Kings of Ly Dynasty and is famous due to the unique architecture.
Formerly, the Do Temple was famous due to the architecture, highly praised through the verses:
"The architecture with the Do Temple is marvelous,
Worthy on the thousand-year-old history of Thang Long"
Do Temple was built through the Le Dynasty and has been altered more than once since. The major reconstruction happened under the reign of Le Trung Hung, in the 17th century.
In front in the Temple lies a semi-circular lake, with clear and full water all 4 seasons round. The lake is linked to two ponds at both ends with the village, with the Tieu Tuong River in front of the village. In the center in the lake stands a square house available to water puppetry performances with two beautiful tiered roofs. To the south of the lake, there can be a huge pavilion to preserve stone slabs inscribed while using merits from the eight kings of Ly Dynasty, and to the north from the lake, a 5-compartment floating house for individuals to take a rest.
The Temple's gate includes five doors made from hard wooden plates assembled together and carved on top images of dragons waiting upon the moon. When the door opens, its two leaves are wide apart, as well as the two dragons on top of the doors seem to be soaring. On day, the dragons' eyes when catching the lighting shine like gemstones. Along the three-step staircase, are carved two stone dragons with clouds around, with a green stone floor, symbolizing the Thang Long (Soaring Dragon) Capital.
Passing the gate and a substantial yard, a green stone paved road leads visitors to a square house, with eight tiered roofs and three compartments, 70m2 in area. Then there can be a 7-compartment front worship house, 220m2 in area, whose front walls are hung with two big posters displaying capital letters: "Eight Kings together brightening" and "Co Phap Commune - a foundation in the Ly Dynasty".
Then a three-compartment house, 80m2 in area, with eight tiered roofs. These three compartments are spacious and ventilated and for the axis leading to the Co Phap ancient back pavilion, 180m2 in area, and while using floor space within the shape of an Cong letter...
Different parts of the Do Temple are restored one after another by skilful craftsmen. A rolling of drumbeats was suddenly heard, signaling the start of your procession to take the tablet of King Ly Thai To from the Do Temple for the Ung Tam Pagoda where the King's mother was worshipped for any reunion in the King and his mother. The procession was attended by the thousand of people, who expressed the spirit with the Vietnamese, i.e. "when drinking the lake, think about its source".
Thien Mu Pagoda
Location: Thien Mu Pagoda can be found on Ha Khe Hill, around the left bank of the Perfume River, in Huong Long Village, 5km from center of Hue City.
Characteristic: It was built-in 1601, and after that Lord Nguyen Phuc Tan had it renovated in 1665. In 1710, Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu were built with a great bell cast (2.5m high; 3,285kg) plus 1715, he a stele (2.58m high) erected about the back of a marble tortoise.
The name with the pagoda comes from a legend: a lengthy ago, an old woman appeared on the hill where the pagoda stands today. She told people that a Lord tummy flatness, although and build a Buddhist pagoda for your country's prosperity. Lord Nguyen Hoang, on hearing that, ordered the construction of the pagoda in the "Heavenly Lady".
Several kings with the Nguyen Dynasty for example Gia Long, Minh Mang, Thieu Tri and Thanh Thai, all had the pagoda restored. Phuoc Duyen Tower (in the beginning called Tu Nhan Tower) was erected in 1884 by King Thieu Tri. This octagonal tower has seven storeys (21m high). Dai Hung shrine, the main-hall, presents a wonderful architecture. As well as bronze cast statues, it shelters some precious antiques: the bronze gong cast in 1677, the wooden gilded board with Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu's inscriptions (1714). On both sides from the pagoda really are a room for your bonzes and a guest-room for visitors.